Hosted by the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA), Asian Attractions Expo 2018 took place 5-8 June 2018, at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre in Hong Kong, China. Preliminary estimates indicate the Expo attracted more than 9,000 participants, including 6,500 qualified buyers and 393 exhibiting companies. Increases in participants, buyers, and exhibiting companies from 2017’s event in Singapore reflect the strength and energy of the global attractions industry. The event featured a full trade show floor at 10,224 net square meters.
The total number of buyers in attendance from all facets of the attractions and leisure industry represents a 27 percent increase from Asian Attractions Expo 2017 in Singapore, and a 7 percent increase from 2015 when the Expo was last held in Hong Kong.
“We were excited to bring Asian Attractions Expo 2018 back to Hong Kong. This is the only show IAAPA hosts in Asia, and the international representation from exhibiting companies and attendees demonstrated the appeal of the destination and the strength of the global attractions industry,” said Hal McEvoy, interim president and CEO, IAAPA. “It’s been a great Expo and we’ve enjoyed celebrating IAAPA’s 100th anniversary with our members and colleagues from around the world.”
Michael Wong, Development Secretary of the Hong Kong KSAR Government, addressed Expo participants during the event’s Opening Ceremony, which also included high-energy entertainment and a traditional Chinese mask-changing performance from Chimelong Park, Guangdong, China.
Asian Attractions Expo 2018 by the Numbers
• 393 companies showcased new and innovative products across 10,224 net square meters of space on the trade show floor.
• Attendance for the education conference was almost 1,600, including 61 participants in the sold-out IAAPA Institute for Attractions Managers and 95 attendees at the sold-out IAAPA Safety Institute.
• 826 people celebrated IAAPA’s 100th anniversary at the Opening Night Reception at Ocean Park Hong Kong.
• 341 people attended the sold-out Leadership Breakfast, featuring keynote speaker Dr. Allan Zeman, Chairman of Lan Kwai Fong Group.
• 178 people attended the Lunch and Learn event on developing successful ride and show entertainment with virtual reality (VR) and projection mapping technology.
• 105 people participated in the EDUTour to Ocean Park Hong Kong and 105 people participated in the EDUTour to Hong Kong Disneyland.
Asian Attractions Expo 2018 sponsors included: accesso, APES Apex Parks & Entertainment Services, Cartoon Network (Turner International), Cumming Corporation, FODEGRAF, Gateway Ticketing Systems, Inc., International Play Company, Jack Rouse Associates, Kraftwerk Living Technologies GmbH, KristallTurm, Meetings & Exhibitions Hong Kong, PGAV Destinations, Pictureworks Pte Ltd., Polin, ProSlide, San Diego Zoo Global, VAHLE, Vekoma Rides Manufacturing BV, Wartsila and WhiteWater.
Asian Attractions Expo 2019 will be held in Shanghai, China, at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre, 11-14 June 2019, and advance exhibit sales are strong as more than 271 companies have already reserved over 10,600 net square meters of space. Exhibitor information for the 2019 event is available on the IAAPA website. More detailed information on AAE 2019 will be available in late 2018.